Current:Home > FinanceBenjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Momentum Network
Benjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 02:01:26
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Benjamin Ashfordagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (164)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Taylor Swift Supporting Miley Cyrus at the 2024 Grammys Proves Their Friendship Can't Be Tamed
- Unbeatable Beauty Deals Up to 82% Off: Urban Decay, NuFACE, Laura Mercier & More
- Snapchat parent company to lay off 10% of workforce in latest job cuts to hit tech industry
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- California power outage map: Over 100,000 customers remain without power Tuesday as storm batters state
- Philly sheriff’s campaign takes down bogus ‘news’ stories posted to site that were generated by AI
- A Year Before Biden’s First Term Ends, Environmental Regulators Rush to Aid Disinvested Communities
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Deadly shark attacks doubled in 2023, with disproportionate number in one country, new report finds
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 'Category 5' was considered the worst hurricane. There's something scarier, study says.
- Why Michael Douglas is playing Ben Franklin: ‘I wanted to see how I looked in tights’
- Man with samurai sword making threats arrested in Walmart, police say
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Rep. Victoria Spartz will run for reelection, reversing decision to leave Congress
- Where's my refund? How to track your tax refund through the IRS system
- Bob Beckwith, FDNY firefighter in iconic 9/11 photo with President George W. Bush, dies at 91
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
When is Super Bowl halftime show? Here's when you should expect to tune in to watch Usher
Super Bowl 2024 commercials will have brands betting big on celebrity appeal and comebacks
Women dominated the 2024 Grammy Awards. Is the tide turning?
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Snapchat parent company to lay off 10% of workforce in latest job cuts to hit tech industry
Food Network Star Duff Goldman Shares He Was Hit by Suspected Drunk Driver
NLRB official rules Dartmouth men's basketball team are employees, orders union vote